Dear campus community,
Our commitment to excellence in education has been recognized by U.S. News & World Report as we once again secure our position as a top 20 public university. We also climbed nine spots in our overall ranking among all public and private institutions, earning the overall ranking of No. 46 among the top universities nationwide. A combined 69 undergraduate and graduate programs were ranked among the top 25 of their respective fields this year.
This year, U.S. News made changes to their methodology, placing stronger emphasis on metrics related to social mobility, faculty research and recent graduate success—areas that we prioritize and excel in as a public institution. The work we have done and continue to do in alignment with our strategic plan, Fearlessly Forward, is reflected in our rankings, from increases in faculty compensation to our high graduation rates for first generation and Pell recipient students.
While rankings serve as valuable benchmarks, the significance is found in what they represent. Beyond mere numbers, they are a measure of progress in the investments we are making: investments in our people and faculty research, in making high-quality education accessible and affordable, and in recruiting and retaining an academically talented and diverse student body. We are proud of our community's work to achieve excellence in all we do, and it is encouraging to see that reflected in our many rankings on the rise.
Excellence in academia, the workplace and the student experienceThis U.S. News announcement marks the latest recognition in our commitment to excellence. Over the past year, Maryland has received notable recognition for our academic programs, research enterprise, workplace environment and student experience. These include:
- No. 1 for Best Colleges for LGBTQ+ Students by the Campus Pride Index
- No. 7 in Maryland on Forbes' list of America's Best Employers By State
- No. 10 among U.S. public institutions for graduate alumni and No. 12 for undergraduate alumni who have raised venture capital for startups in the last 10 years, as measured by Pitchbook
- No. 12 among U.S. public institutions, according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities
- No. 13 among publics in Forbes' list of America's Top Colleges, which spotlights schools that offer an excellent education at a great price, graduate high-earners and propel students to become successful entrepreneurs and influential leaders in their fields
- No. 14 among U.S. public institutions for patents awarded in 2022 along with other USM institutions, according to the National Academy of Inventors and the Intellectual Property Owners Association
- No. 16 among public four-year institutions for "Colleges with the Best 6-Year Graduation Rates for Pell Students" in the Chronicle's Almanac
- 4-Star America's Greatest Workplaces, according to Newsweek—one of only eight higher education institutions to earn four or more stars