President's Commission on Women's Issues
Learn more about the 2022 Celebration of Women Award Winners
The President's Commission on Women's Issues (PCWI) established the Outstanding Woman of the Year Award in 1977. In 2017, the awards were renamed Women of Influence. The Women of Influence and Champions of Women Awards recognize members of our community who have distinguished themselves by working Fearlessly Forward with and for women on our campus and in our community.
Nominees must have actively engaged on behalf of diverse communities of women in identity, discipline, and other dimensions of difference as well as the dynamics of privilege, and power. Nominees should be University of Maryland students, staff, and faculty with evidence of leadership in one or more of the core areas listed below:
- Community Engagement: engaging the community at UMD and beyond to strengthen the experiences of women and girls
- Mentorship: formally and/or informally fostering the development of women & girls
- Preventing Sexual Harassment: and other forms of sexual misconduct
- Social & Political Justice: supporting issues of diversity, inclusion and justice by addressing various ways our community is impacted by sexism and all intersecting forms of discrimination and marginalization, including BIPOC, class, disability, immigration, LGBTQ+, religion/spirituality, veteran, and other dimensions of identity
- Work/Life Balance: strengthening our campus community for working women
- The Women of Influence Awards are open to all women, trans- and cis-gender.
- The Champions of Women Awards are open to all people across/beyond the spectrum of gender.
PCWI strongly encourages nominations at the intersection of marginalized/underrepresented identities including BIPOC, class, disability, immigration, LGBTQ+, religion/spirituality, veteran, and other dimensions of identity.
Questions? Contact PCWI Chair Erin McClure (firstname.lastname@example.org, she/her) or PCWI Graduate Assistant Angie Peterson (email@example.com, they/any).