- The University of Maryland will begin the semester as scheduled on August 31 but will delay undergraduate in-person instruction until September 14. Undergraduate instruction will be delivered online for the first two weeks. All graduate-level instruction and approved research activities will proceed as planned.
- On July 14 and 15, 2020, the University of Maryland offered volunteer PCR COVID-19 testing to its entire campus community. The purpose of this testing pilot was to provide "free of charge" access to certified state of Maryland PCR COVID-19 testing to anyone, who is a student, or employee of the university.
- I have proudly served as your president for one week, and I continue to prioritize keeping you informed as we remain physically distant and dispersed. Seven days in, I want to provide some important updates to our community:
- Today is my first day as the 34th President of the University of Maryland. I have been on our campus for more than 25 years as an Assistant Professor, Department Chair, and Dean. Now, I am honored and humbled to be leading our great university in the third decade of the 21st century. My wife, Sylvia, and our two children love the University and the great state of Maryland. We have proudly raised two Terps! We are all part of the greater Terrapin Family and we are excited about our collective future.
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., once said that: "The ultimate measure of a man is not where one stands in moments of comfort and convenience but where one stands in times of challenge and controversy."