Office of the President

Meetings: 2010 (12.13) | The President’s Commission for LGBT Issues

PCLGBTI Meeting Minutes
December 13, 2010

7121 McKeldin Library

In attendance: Jay Garvey, Jarah Moesch, Joanna Damiano, Penny Jacobs, Nick Sakurai, Tosh Patterson, Sue Elliot, Noah Drezner, Daniel Hayes, JV Sapinoso, Nancy Yeroshefsky, Luke Jensen, Joan Bellsey, Mark Brimhall-Vargas, Laura Scott, Tanner, Wray, Jamie Adasi, Anton Medvedev, Natalia Cuadra-Saez, Marilee Lindemann, Amanda Pino, Brooke Auxier

I. Introductions – including various students who are new to the Commission

II. Agenda Review

A. Hope to talk about Senate discussion on domestic partnership B. Review of Commission work for new students joining the meeting

III. Updates from Brooke & Tanner

A. Brooke --

1. Membership has been updated on the website & the minutes from the first meeting have also been posted.

2. Working with President’s Office to get everyone appointment letters. If you are new to the group, please send me your contact information (address, phone number, etc). My e-mail is

B. Tanner --

1. Working on appointment letters and staggering the memberships. Talk about providing the new members with expectations of Commission membership.

(a) Add to January/February agenda – talk about membership again.

(b) Students – different years of appointment?

(c) Is there a capacity of the Commission and are different populations accurately represented?

IV. Sub-committee for Graduate and Undergraduate Curriculum Update

A. The group had a brainstorming session (Jay, Demetrius & Marilee)

B. They came up with a short-term possibility that will hopefully actualize next semester with discussion about a long-term possibility that will most likely yield the need for a sub-committee.

1. They hope to do more for graduate students in conjunction with a group Jay Garvey is involved in, Queer Grads.

(a) Having a semi-regular series focusing on professional issues for graduate students.

(b) Jay is interested in professional and workplace issues, coming out in your resume and queer research.

(c) A brown bag lunch on research in LGBT graduate studies

(d) LGBT studies office will offer the space & pizza. Marilee is working with Jay to find out what students might want from the series.

(e) This is something easy to do, but may be important to people at particular stages in their careers.

C. Undergrad level

1. The creation of living/learning program. Marilee is doing research in the office about other programs like this. There is hope to have more formal action next semester.

(a) Pres. Loh is very into living/learning programs. These programs increase retention and graduation rates so why aren’t we shooting for 100 percent living/learning programs? He seems very interested in the numbers, resources, and interest of students.

2. How can the commission help?

(a) Being supportive and being a part of the conversation. Marilee is looking at ways the Commission can support this effort.

(b) Noah Drezner - a contact for living/learning communities.

V. Sub-Committee for Transgender Issues and Gender Identity Expression

A. Gender-neutral restrooms.

1. Office of LGBT Equity has an out-of-date list of locations. Only includes academic buildings. It is possible to identify restrooms from the website.

2. The idea of generating a list in facilities management of single-use restrooms on campus, accompanied by a map. The best time to generate would be July. Request an annual list – facilities is taking care of this (Dan Hayes).

3. Signage for these restrooms was also discussed. “Unisex” is not preferable.

4. A statement needs to be issued that students can use restrooms where they feel most comfortable.

5. In the future, multi-stall non-gendered restrooms may be discussed.

6. Additional single-use restrooms, especially in the older buildings.

7. Resident life is looking at single-use restrooms in their buildings.

B. Healthcare & revising all forms to be appropriate and comprehensive for all students.

1. Students can continue hormone therapy at the Health Center, but cannot initiate it. They are looking into developing that capacity in the future. Hormone therapy is covered by the student health insurance offered by the University.”

2. Sex reassignment surgery is not covered by health insurance. There are not enough student enrolled in the university healthcare insurance to fund this. It was suggested that the group research what the costs would be to allow for such coverage.. or how many students are need in the system to keep costs down. Why is UMD not linked to the systems of UM?

3. Only for the past 2 years has the university required undergrad students to have insurance. Grad students are not required to have insurance. Many students are still insured under their parents.

C. The sub-committee will continue to focus on the form review/website updates/hormone therapy through the health center

1. Philly Trans-gender health conference… annual resource

D. Penny is working on a list of local physicians to refer students to for things the university cannot do. How do we build this resource? Penny is the only one who does hormone therapy. There are a lot of risks involved, so it’s hard to find people who want to take it on.

E. Non-discrimination policy

1. Gender identity and gender expression are included as an asterisk (footnote) in our official non-discrimination policy. They need to be moved into the actual policy itself.

2. The group may want to focus on a way to bring up this issue at the state level. Have Pres. Loh make a statement about the importance of such a policy in the absence of having the actual policy and stating that he wants this change and should bring it to the Board of Regents.

F. Form for use of preferred name developed by registrar and legal office is problematic. It states Preferred name will be used only in class rosters, student directories, and campus ID card. Not in financial aid, payroll & official transcripts where the legal name is used. Form needs to be changed to read that Preferred name is used in ALL places except official transcripts and financial aid where legal name is used. 1. The preferred name project did not draw as many participants as expected.

G. Desire for Sex/Gender form similar to preferred name form that allows students to change their sex or gender on student records.

1. Currently, students are able to change sex/gender on student records with permission from LGBT Equity director (Luke) or a mental health provider.

2. Everyone employed at UMD can go into personal info and change sex/name/race/address, etc. Employees can do it, so why can’t students?

3. There would be a form generated to ensure that you are not misrepresenting yourself. Luke will explore options with Susan Bayly, the University’s General Counsel.

F. Increase in training and awareness of transgender issues is needed.

VI. Sub-Committee on Town Halls

A. At each town hall, a brief overview of the report generated in 2010 by LGBT in Higher Education will be presented. The town halls will provide a forum to discuss how our campus is in alignment or not.

B. Event is on February 24.

1. Prince George’s Room in the Stamp Student Union.

(a) 3:30-5:30 FAC/STAFF.


2. President Loh will be present for the first half and hour of each.

C. The town halls will be recorded. Mark is working to record only the front half of the PG room, not the back, in order to protect people. It is will also serve as a resource for those who could not attend and helpful in general to have a record.

D. Time slots for people who want to speak and then open it up to people who didn’t sign up?

VII. President’s Briefing on Jan. 31. Luke, Marilee & Tanner

A. Gender identity

B. Benefits